20 August 2016

Penang Red Prawn

Red Prawns Red Prawns... are you flesh water or marine??? Will I get to see you when I go diving?

Penang's durian have always been much rave about on how good it is.  How about Penang durian grown in nearer States such as Johor?

The soil properties, terrain and weather is different down South from North.  This year's El Nino weather phenomenon may have changed things.  Besides, the wetter period, after El Nino strikes a balance, where there are ample supply of water, yet doesn't cause the soil to be too wet.

I had seen this Penang Red Prawn sold at a particular stall in Hougang but brushed it aside as just another namesake.  But... well, as a fanatic, I still needs to sink my teeth into it, to be convinced if it's worthy or just fad.

I took this large fruit, slightly above 2 kg.  When it was opened, I thought, it's a paler shade of orange, yet a little bruised look. It was very soft, wrinkled, all the sights of a durian I typically love.

I ate 2 sides and packed the remaining 3 sides home for next morning (as breakfast). Don't envy me.

The first piece that sank in. My eyes lid up. It was as I desired, bitter with a mild hint of sweetness!  It's everything nice, strong distinctive character... I'm lost for words how to describe the taste. Should I say,  the blend of bitterness from XO,  kum kum taste of D13 and the shiok aromatic factor of Tekka?  Goodness, I'm bought!

I'm awed! OK I'll eat it again.  After all, Tekka season is almost over.

Just a final note.  Some consumers loves their durian dry, but I love mine soft and somehow I'm happier if it's wet too (not as in, water droplet wet, but wet flesh).  Thus, this durian is not for those who wants their durian dry. Dryness is alienate here. I am convinced it has to be soft and wet. I'm in love. This is Durian Orgasm.

This particular Red Prawn I had is definitely worth 8.5-9 out of 10!







(I love a good durian that is nearly over ripe, where it is really wrinkled, soft and wet, where the flesh almost slips off the seed upon being picked up.  Ever insisted with a durian seller to sell such a durian to me, which he refused, as he said, it's over-ripe... hell NO! That's my fav!

An almost over ripe durian has the strongest character that the particular durian would be. It just gives me that knock out punch a great tasting durian delivers. That's me...)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I stay in Sengkang and I've been looking for genuine Penang red prawn (not those that pass off as D13 or D18). Which stall did you go to? If you wish to be anonymous, at least which block number in Hougang?
    BTW, I really appreciate your blog. I love durian and there's so much to learn from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not been to Hougang for durian this year. This season, I've feast on Tekka more than other variants (but Tekka quality dipped since end Nov 17). I don't recall which stall I ate the above from. But you are right about the pass off.

    ReplyDelete