17 November 2017

Under-rated D17 (or sometimes called S17)

I was happily tucking into some other varient, when the durian seller pushed this for me to try.  It was the only piece that came along with the whole bulk of delivery that day.

This durian varient has been seen these recent few years (before that, it was lesser known) but I had not really taken a keen interest, since most of the time, it's mainly bitter.

Since it was pushed to me, I had to try it again, to awaken my taste bud.

Visual
The shape is quite regular, nothing unusual and the color of the shell is yellowish green.  It looks a bit more like an ordinary durian.

Typically
The durian isn't too large.  Averagely, I would presume it to weigh in the region of 1.2 - 1.5kg.  I won't go for large one if any.


Texture, Taste, Aroma (Flesh)
The texture is soft, and some would relate it to being watery.  Color of the flesh is off white or beige, somehow, quite near XO and D24.  .

Most of the time, it's associated as a bitter durian.  If you are lucky, a good one has a good aroma.  Don't let it slip down your throat too fast else you may just miss out the aroma.



Personally
I am a bigger fan of some other durians thus only take this once in awhile.  However, the one I took recently had left me a pleasant lingering desire to have another one.
In my perception.... 5/10.

I heard there are shops passing of D17 as Lao Tai Po (Old Lady).  Trust me, if you have eaten a real Lao Tai Po, D17 would end up being cast aside. It's comparing a $10 cooking wine against MOET.

----- EDIT 9 July 2018 -----

I need to tuck my head into e hole and hide.... I've just tried a great D17!!!  I'm pawned!  

I was given this 1 and only D17 in my recent feast.  I wasn't so keen since my last memory was just average.  However, this time, my jaws dropped.  After my first bite, I was going a little cranky, telling my friend, who loves XO durian... "YOU GOTTA TRY THIS!!!  It's got the bitterness, the mild biting of XO yet the aroma of a D24 or the likes".  Darn... why is that the one and only?  Now I'm dreaming of more D17.

Although it was on the wetter side, which some absolutely shun, I love it to bits.  There's creaminess in it, a nice flora linger, mild citrus effect.... vanilla ice cream.

1 comment:

  1. I have heard a durian seller calling this as "botak" I think, but I've never personally tried this before.

    ReplyDelete