22 July 2018

D163 - Hor Lor

Hor Lor?  I only had it once, in Penang, where it originate from if I'm not mistaken.  So, when I was presented this by the seller, I was finding it a bit hard to believe.

The Outlook
Like the name suggested, Hor Lor is a hokkien word for gourd.

It is longish shape and has a slightly broader lower half (photo didnt fo justice as it was an opened fruit so I couldn't take different angles). 

The thorns are a little jagged, some even appears hooked.

It appears a bit on the brownish hue, with a tone of dullishness than green.

There's the 'star lines' too. Is it typical? Dont know.


The Flesh 
It's richly yellow, not deep yellow like MSW, but a bit nearer to Tekka.


Taste and Texture
Very thick and kind of occupied your mouth with that sense of gluey texture but it isnt gluey, a bit like what you may experience with a big piece of cempedek fruit.

It is very fibrous, the membrane feels chewy. Even that layer between the flesh and seed. 

The rich color gave me a false expectation that it will come with a strong taste. Well, yes, flavorful but not the kind of taste that strikes you hard.

It taste thickly buttery yet nutty. A nice flavour develops when we savor it slowly.  It is mildly sweet, with a hint of bitter.

The seeds are mostly large, but dont mistaken, the flesh is ample due to the thickness texture.  

Conclusion
It is quite nice.  The taste and texture is rather unusual. I dont mind eating it sometime.

Although it is quite pleasant, I'll only rate it 5/10.


----------- 23/07/18 ---------------

Just had another Hor Lor today... it resonate with the first fruit I had couple of days ago. Texture, taste, looks, everything. Maybe a coincidence, but give me the impression, that is what Hor Lor is like.

No comments:

Post a Comment