28 July 2016

D101, Something I never Consider Previously!

D101 Durian - Typically
Previously, this durian's quality is...forgettable!  It is usually sweet, soft in texture, flesh isn't thick, no omph factor, and has a sourish after taste.  It goes well with those who likes sweet durians, and children.  Considered value for money since during peak, prices are much lower than many variants, yet it's a big durian with lots of seeds.

Visual
The durian is usually large, ranging from 2-3kg, very regular shape and usually has 5 sides.  The color of the shell is usually richer and darker shade of green.  The thorns are long and spiky, that I sometimes pity the sellers, as they tends to get prick by D101 thorns often.

Texture, Taste, Aroma (Flesh)
Usually sweet with sourish after taste, orangy in color (which sellers and consumers will relate to as, 'ang bak' in local terms or Red Meat [when it's actually not red]).  The flesh is usually soft and not as 'thick/sticky' on the throat. 


Seeds are often regular full size.


----- Personally -----
D101 was something I rather forgo all these years.  However, the other night, the seller rave that this season's D101 is as good as last year.  So I bought some on Sunday, and true to his words, it left me wanting more.

I asked the seller to choose 2 for me, of different taste (1 sweet, 1 bitter) as much as possible.  Here's what I thought...

Durian 1 - Sweet D101

Weight : 2.1kg 
Sides : 5
Number of Seeds : 15

Taste Test : 
This pick is on the sweeter side, mildly bitter,  6/4.  Flesh is smooth and soft. There is a 'kam kam' taste. Aroma wise, it goes well for those who prefers sweeter durian with a bit flora taste. 




Seed Shape/Size : Mostly flat, with some regular size.  Evident below.



Durian 2 - Bitter D101

Weight : 2.3kg 
Sides : 5
Number of Seeds : 17

Taste Test : 
The one!!! I simply love the bitter yet mildly sweet taste, 8/2.  A bit alcoholic and numbing sensation on the tongue, leaving me questioning myself, is it an XO?  Hard to really describe aroma. Good pungent. Overall, I wondered if it's blended with MSW and XO. Complex... This one got me!!!  

Just to note, flesh is very soft and seemingly wet,thus the bitterness with XO sensation.






Seed Shape/Size : Mostly flat, with a few regular size ones.  


Note :
If you want a nice tasting D101, be prepared for the flesh to be soft, almost falling off the seed.  If you expects a firm flesh D101, the taste tends to be sweet.  So don't expect otherwise.


Conclusion For This Season, Mid 2016
I'm never a supporter for this durian previously, but I'm impressed with the current supply.  This quality doesn't come year after year, thus I would indulge in D101 for now, before turning to other variants later in the season.  

Given the price I paid, pound for pound wise, this durian is worthy.  No regrets!  


I give it 8/10 rating.  Will definitely be back for MORE!  High chance I will stock up some, and probably make D101 ice cream in future.

(There goes my diet... any slimming centers around?)



Don't take my word for it, go try it yourself.  A real durian fanatic will try all types, than stick to limited few durian choices, thereby missing out on a lot of other good quality durians.

No comments:

Post a Comment