17 August 2016

Kun Poh

I was told last year, Kun Poh and Wu Zi Guo (Five Fingers Fruit) looks similar but are different.  I don't know.   I had Wu Zi Guo in July 2015 and fell in love with it, for the smoothness and 'grown on you' kind of quality it presented.

Just recently, 10 August 2016, I was lured by one of my trusted durian seller, whom called to tell me, "I got 2 odd durians, suspect it's Wu Zi Guo and Lao Tai Po".  So I made a trip down.  The outlooks of both durians, one looks like a Wu Zi Guo but the other, well, a little like Lao Tai Po, but dubious too.

My trusted seller told me,
-  Durian 1 : it's either Wu Zi Guo, otherwise it will be Kun Poh.
-  Durian 2 : Could be Lao Tai Po or D17, which I doubt it's D17 right from the start.

I brought both durians home, whole.  Fridge it overnight before opening it the next day.

Kun Poh or Wu Zi Guo?
Upon Opening, the color and texture of the flesh doesn't look like Wu Zi Guo, so I took a photo and verify it with the seller.  He said it should be Kun Poh.

Wu Zi Guo has soft texture, with the milky beige color look, while Kun Poh is yellowish orangery in color.  Texture is also firmer and dryer.

Visual
The exterior shell is similar with Wu Zi Guo, having that sectional look, with a pointy 'backside'.  The thorns are tough and rough, firm and kind of ugly. 

Texture, Taste, Aroma (Flesh)
The color is orangery yellow, but not as orangery as D13, Red Prawn, D101, etc, yet not near yellow like MSW.  It's just a...cross.

The flesh is rather firm and dry, a little closer to Thai durian, but minus the crunchiness bite.

The taste is mild, with a simple nutty taste.  Generally, light bodied, mildly sweet mildly bitter.  It's not the general taste of Kun Poh (since I didn't have choices to choose from but just 1 odd piece), so I'll leave this as is.

This one piece of Kun Poh, I'll give it a 3/10.  Not saying it's not good, but this particular piece isn't able to let me conclude anything.  Given a chance, I will try it again, so I can have a better idea what it is actually like.

Photos



No comments:

Post a Comment