18 August 2016

Durian Season Taste Test - Aug 2016

---------- 17 Aug 16 ----------
After resisting MSW for the last few weeks, and focusing my desires on Tekka, I finally sank my teeth into MSW last night (17 Aug 16).  I wanted Tekka still, but since they finished selling, the seller suggested I try MSW.  As he said, this new batch is good, with a strong assurance.  He knows my taste.

It wasn't a large fruit, since I don't want to pack home.  I asked for a mid size fruit, but he warned, smaller fruit means lesser flesh/seeds, which I'm ok with that.  I'm not into quantity!  My simple logic is, in a single durian, if there are 5 seeds, the nutrients and whatever feeds that goes into the durian, is spread to 5.  If there are 15 seeds, it is spread to 15.  Quality would have dropped with more seeds.  Oh well, that's me.  I prefer to have the omph factor than the oh (so full) factor, but... like my personal quote goes "The stomach is full, but the soul is empty".  I hate that!

Coming to this particular MSW.  It was about 1.7kg and there are 7 seeds in it.  All seeds are flat!

The flesh is consistent in color tone, deep rich yellow.  The texture is soft and glossy, which some would refer to as, wet!  If you want a strong tasting MSW (or many other durians), bitter, flavourful, it is usually soft or nearly wet.  The softer the better.  Have you ever tasted an awesome XO that is dry???  

It taste...... WOOOOOOOoooo the MSW that I like, 80% there, little presence of that kinda 'coffee aroma' factor. So yes, though it taste so damn good, it just came close to my perfect MSW (the 'coffee aroma').




People living elsewhere (from Singapore or Malaysia) but craving for durians, the Malaysia durian is in season.  It is likely to last till October this year.  But right now, I think it's good time to eat durian.  Fly on in.  


---------- 19 Aug 16 ----------
Just did a taste test on sellers claim of "Penang Red Prawns".  

Shall not describe much here but in a new post since I've not done any on the infamous Red Prawns.

In summary, I'm bought! It's that's a large fruit weighing about 2kg or sometimes heavier. But for the roughly 2kg fruit i had, there were about 15 seeds with rich tasting flesh. It's money worth.

That's going to be my chase for the next week or 2, while stock last. I'm sure this Red Prawns won't be for long, since it's quite new and not many plantations in South end of Penisular Malaysia grows it yet.

---------- 21 Aug 16 ----------
Am I sounding like I'm eating durian almost daily?  Well, literally, since last Wednesday and till tonight, 5 nights running.

Latest I tried, D2.  It's got that pleasant easy to like taste, bitter with mild sweetness after taste.  Easy on the platelet.  Each fruit is about 1.2-1.5kg only.

Also tried Tai Yuen (or Black Pearl) last night.  The flesh is sticky, I wonder if it's going down or staying in the throat, yet the bitter-sweet isn't strong, but easy.  Aroma is nice.

Tonight, I'll go back to D101 (packed 1 home last night).  Will give my tummy and waistline a few days break after tonight.  It's just so sinful.

No comments:

Post a Comment