13 July 2015

Testing New Freezing Method

Previously, I used to freeze the whole box of durian (flesh and seeds).  This caused a few issues:
-  Taking too much space in freezer
-  Losing water content (ice crystals forming in the box)
-  Taste changed after a few months.

After some thoughts, since durian pulps (eg those for pastry or such) are stored for prolonged periods, why is it that the taste remains relatively good?  From what I know, these durians are pulp, removing all seeds, and 'mixed' before being packed into zip lock bags.  This effectively removed most air, leaving little space for oxidation or for the pulp to loose too much moisture. 

I am trying this method, but not the exact same way.  Last night (12072015), I had 2 styrofoam boxes of Cat Mountain King durians (Mao San Wang).  What I did was,
-  semi froze the durians for a few hours (easier to remove flesh)
-  Used a small knife to assist removing the flesh
-  For MSW, the flesh is rather unique, it's like, being folded around the seed
-  Remove the flesh (throw the seeds)
-  Pack about 10 seeds equivalent of durian flesh into sandwich bags
-  Hint hint, for health conscious, calories counting individuals (i'm guilty), each seed is about 50 calories, thus each bag is 500 calories.
-  Compact the flesh and flatten it
-  Placed into airtight containers (place them close, so there is little air pockets).
-  FREEZE!





This method effectively reduce space, from 2 large styroform boxes down to 1 airtight container (equivalent to 1 box).  It also reduce air pockets in each bag, thereby can help to prevent moisture lost.

I will take 1 pack out a month, to do a taste test and see if the taste is affected by storage.


----------------- edit 19 Sept 2016 ----------------- 

Forgotten about this.  

The lot that I frozen above, is still in the freezer and looks pretty much the same as when I freeze it, but yet to try.  Hope it is as tasty, least I got to waste it.

I had done another lot about a month back.  This batch is Tekka (Bamboo) variant.  After nearly 1 month, I took 1 pack out, even brought it overseas (newspaper wrapped, shrink wrapped, ziplock bag with double zip).  Upon reaching my destination, I placed it into the fridge (9 hours out of freezer) to chill it again and consumed it that evening. 

It taste almost like it was when I packed/freeze it!  

So, yes, this method should help retain the taste tremendously as compared to just putting the whole unseeded lot with a lot of air space.  This method reduce the lost of moisture/water content of the durian, thereby retaining the taste.  

I'll try another pack in another month and see how a 2 months old frozen durian taste like.  I'll also try the 1+ years old MSW above soon.

2 comments:

  1. Been wondering about storing durians for future consumption since its cheap now. Pls do update if u manage to store them even longer !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep I tried those kept for 4 or 5 months and it doesnt taste compromised. As a matter of fact, I have self flesh that dates a year old and I'm just going to keep it till I crave when it's not in season.

    This season, i may stock up just a bit (cant be keeping too much else I'll need to get a bigger fridge) of variants that I love. Not all variants are good for stocking... I'll keep strong tasting durians but not mild tasting ones theYep I tried those kept for 4 months and it doesnt taste compromised. As a matter of fact, I have self pulled flesh that dates a year old and I'm just going to keep it till I crave when it's not in season.

    This season, i may stock up just a bit (cant be keeping too much else I'll need to get a bigger fridge) if variants that I love. Not all variants are good for stocking... I'll keep strong tasting durians but not milder ones eg XO.

    ReplyDelete