13 July 2015

五指果 (Five Finger Fruit)

Just tried this durian recently, for the first time.  It was a special recommendation by the durian boys whom I am quite familiar with.  

The outlook looks the part of a Thai durian.  I had initially thought it to be Montong durian (Thai) when I was shown a large fruit.  

The flesh is buttery smooth, creamy too.  Taste wise, it is subtle but pleasantly fragrantful.  Unlike many popular durians, this 'Five Finger' isn't as 'offendingly' nerve striking, but very easy on the palate.  Taste is mildly sweet bitter (would think it is 70/30 sweet/bitter).

First one I tried was almost 2 weeks ago, early July 2015.




 2nd one I tried was over the weekend.  There was only 3 seeds in this fruit.


  



The trick to enjoying this durian!

First thing is, this fruit is a little too soft, it ripens further after fruit has dropped.  Thus it tends to be soft and 'watery' if left in the open.

I was told to put the whole fruit into the fridge and let it chill, as well as stop the durian from ripening further.  A chilled durian definitely taste nicer too.  


To open the fruit, slit the split lines before plunging the durian knife to the bottom of the fruit (not too deep) to split open it.  This will ensure the fruit opens nicely, and the membrane of the durian flesh isn't damage (else the flesh ends up a little like splattered tofu).

Have a go at it!  It's a worthy fruit to try.

Additional info.  I was told this fruit originate from Ipoh.  I'm heading to Ipoh on 19/7/2015 to try it (hope I'm lucky)!


P/s : If you like this durian too, remember to blanjar me ok

No comments:

Post a Comment