09 July 2018

D194 - Gabai

Pardon me, this is the first time I was offered this variant and an online check doesn't yield any similar name, thus I am not too sure if this durian name is right.  I was told it is called Kapai (or Kap Tai, or what? Beats me).

As I was seated at the durian stall, watching the durian guys attending to customers, one of the durian seller asked me if I am keen to try a rare fruit, Kapai.  He just opened the fruit and sent to me, thus I couldn't take photo of a unopened fruit, but here's how it looks like when I combined both sides back together (as best as I could).



It was a mid sized durian, feels like it weighs in the region of 1.6-1.8kg (guess).  The shell is greenish with big and tough thorns and sharp pointed ends (blacken tip).  A very solid and healthy outlook generally.  Longish and regular shape, producing 5 good sides with fruit.




The inside looks welcoming.  The color of durian pulp is creamy, pale yellow (quite like D24 color).  It has regular size seeds, yet yields sufficient flesh that is thick and tends to feel a little dry enough to stick to the throat (don't swallow too quick or you may just get a hiccup).

It taste creamy, hint of milkiness but not vanilla like.  It has a mild subtle taste, which grows on me after 2nd seed.  There's a nice hint of bitter yet sweet on the tongue.  Smell starts to fill my nose with a nice linger.



What seems interesting is, the flesh can be peeled off the seed cleanly.  

Personally, it is worth trying, but it won't appeal to those who like strong tasting durian.

Would give it a 4/10 appeal to general consumers but I personally take it at 5-6/10 for the overall.

------------------------update-------------------

I spoke with Mr Soh, a durian farm owner recently, and was told, it should be D194 - Gabai.  As he shared, the flesh should be yellowish and bitter sweet.  

A quick search online, pointed to what he shared.

Taste wise, although milder, it seems to resonate with what I tried, plus the milkiness, but color wise, the one I tried seems to be pale.  Let's hope I get to try it again some other times.

3 comments:

  1. Durian Gabai , from Hulu Langat, not popular although it was famous in Langat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. D194 was registered by Mr LEE CHONG KOOH at Sepang, Batu 1, on date 14 Jun 1993. Found by his father LEE CHO POH together. In 90s, per KG RM43-50, was very famous in Spore. During that time, most of Singaporean was order their durian in a year advanced. Thus, less Msia know this brand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the above information. I'm learning along the way, as I've little knowledge of the durian's history/background.

    ReplyDelete