23 August 2013

D2 Durian

I must honestly admit, this durian never once appeal to me, as I seems to like it to D4, unworthy of the lost calories.  

But I was given a loser awakening call!  My trusted durian guy, for no reason, picked one and open it for me.  My first comment, "this D2 is worthy meh?" (as if I really know.. HAH!  WRONG!).  I'm a little embarrassed now, having to admit my judgemental negativity, is now defeated (pls do not throw tofu at me).


Visual

This durian is longish shape, sometimes looking a little shaped like an enlarged peanut, or how should the shape be described?  Nvm... not important.  A photo helps provide a better idea doesn't it?

D2 (The Outside)

Typically
This durian isn't very large.  Among the lot I saw on separate occasion, it appears to weigh around 1.2 - 1.5kg. 


Texture, Taste, Aroma (Flesh)
I wasn't expecting much.  Afterall, I had perceived it as sweet and average.  Oh hellish!  

Instead, the flesh was sticky and thick, reasonably good pungent yet not overwhelmingly strong like MSW or bitter like XO.  It's a good blend of bitter sweet (this one i tried) and I'll give it 6/4 (bitter/sweet ratio).

Flesh is orangy in colour, thus the deception that it is sweet.  But hey, I am not saying, the above description is the general taste test ok.  It's just that ONE out of the whole lot, and the durian guy knows my preference, so yes, like he said, even among a basket of sweet durian, you can still find one odd one out (perhaps this is the one?).


Choosing

I can't comment.  I didn't choose, my fav durian guy just picked for me to try. 

Hint
This is my first time trying D2 thus I can't comment on the quality and taste of an average D2.  Sorry...  

Personally

Worth trying.  

I give it a 6 points.


---------- edit : 22 Aug 2016 ----------

Just tried D2 again yesterday.  I had totally forgotten how this durian taste like till I tried it again.  The outter looks, small thorns, mostly 'dirty brownish' looking shell.  The flesh is orangy like described above, yet it's soft and the bitter-sweet taste isn't overwhelming.  It was an easy to like durian.  I like it for the less complex taste, softness of flesh and nice pleasant flavour.  Seeds are small too.

No comments:

Post a Comment